10.9.08

rachael yamagata sings about elephant teeth. releases two songs. both are ultra super duper brilliant!

SONG: "Elephants"
ARTIST: Rachael Yamagata
RATING: OOO1/2



SONG: "Sidedish Friend"
ARTIST: Rachael Yamagata
RATING: OOOO1/2

hazim and the new asymptotes
hey. hazim here...again. AAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! Rachael Yamagata should be ashamed for herself for taking such a freaking long time to release a second album. true that she has released a few short EPS in between, but those are merely tasters which make you hungry for more. And now we have more. A lot more. A two part album in fact, just to stiate the Yamagummers like me. Her last album was brilliant moody rookie Fiona Apple pop with catchier melodies, but just as sad and melancholy. The first part called Elephants will give the familiar, Rachael being moody and vulnerable. But the other is a treat. rachael, with her gritty "I smoke too much" husky voice being all gritty and PJ Harvey-like. It's called Teeth Sinking Into Hearts. The song from that is called "Sidedish Friend" and it's catchy and grimiy a bit. She's all cynical when she's asking you whether you want to be her sidedish friend. It's moody, like her previous work, but when she sounds this snarky and she's sneering at me like she poking me and glaring at me while cooing and belting at the same time, chills run down my spine. The other song "Elephants" is from Elephants (duh) and it's great, a little slower. A lot slower. But it's a great change of pace. It sinks in like a blanket on a cold night. Cozy. Comfy. But disturbing. Because that's how Rachael rolls. Her trademark loping haunting piano. And I love both. But "Sidedish Friend" a little more. And I'm sooo excited for her new album, that I think I need to change my pants now. Sooo excited! By the way, I'm posting the track "Elephants". If you want to listen to the brilliant "sidedish Friend", check out her myspace HERE. Seriously, you should do it. Just a click. Don't be shy. Hazim. Out.


Rachael Yamagata-Elephants//Elephants









No comments: