15.8.06

BackTracks(1978): Blondie-Hanging On The Telephone

Hey.Hazim here...again. Who doesn't like Blondie? They were real pioneers in what they did and uh, I really can't imagine a music lover not at least appreciating what they've done. Here's a backtrack single from the major massive album Parallel Lines. It's called "Hanging On The Telephone". Great song. Some people are still unaware that Blondie's not the original artist for the song, but it was actually The Nerves who did it before them. But The Nerves' version never made it big. So it was all on Debbie Harry and her crew to take the song places. Without Debby Harry, Gwen Stefani, Shirley Mansion and even Madonna wouldn't be who they are today. I would have posted their (arguably) most famous single "Heart Of Glass" but I decided to go with this one instead. I know Debby Harry and the rest of the band are unsure of Blondie's future (they keep quarreling with each other) but I was playing this song and it made me realize how massive they were serving as the root of a lot of ska, pop, and new wave artists today. I don't usually listen to really really old stuff unless it's like Billie Holiday or Frank Sinatra (he da man!), but there are some really awesome gems from the past. You just gotta dust off the dirt on them to let it shine. Enjoy the video. Hazim.Out.


No comments: