8.8.08

omg! M.I.A's actually on the US charts!

M.I.A. a possible chart topper? Maybe.I.Am
hazim and the new asymptotes
hey. hazim here...again. You know that feeling that some people get when they discover an "underground" artist? And they think they're so cool because of it? Well, I kinda had that when i first listened to M.I.A's Arular. I thought I'd discovered a gem. A Sri Lankan motor mouth with a penchant for writing lyrics about sweaty sex and religion, often in the same line, and dribbling them over jungle rhythms and bongo beats. Not even the similiar sounding Santogold could topple her after the relase of her second album Kala. That album had a lot of gems, including the Bollywood inspired "Jimmy" and the crazy "Boyz". This song, censored or not, is the crowning glory. M.I.A usually doesn't give a damn whether her sound is mainstream or not but here, she accidentally stumbles into a catchy pop hook and a melody as undeniable as a newborn puppy. And it payed off. The song's hit the ground running, getting in at number 16 on the Billboard Hot 100 and 28 in Canada. It's not long before she sees herself in the top 10. And thank god. And finally. Please please knock that annoying "I Kissed A Girl" off the top. Crosses fingers. Here's the music video for this brilliant song about illegal immigrants. And whatever you do, do NOT look for the cover by Rihanna. You might be looking for hearing aids afterwards. My fair warning. Hazim. Out.


No comments: